Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976)

The Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976) is no longer available for new applications. It closed to new applications on 22 March 2013. However, you may still be eligible to apply for the Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601).

Electronic travel authority holders

If you have already been granted an Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976), this information is for you. It explains your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

To check your visa status and entitlements, you can use the free Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.

How long does the Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976) last?

From the day your Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976) is granted, it lasts for the earliest of either:

  • The life of your current passport
  • 12 months

What can you do with this electronic travel authority?

With the Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976), you have the following privileges:

  • You can enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
  • You can stay in Australia for up to three months on each visit.

Your obligations as a visa holder

As a holder of the Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) visa (subclass 976), you must comply with all electronic travel authority conditions and Australian laws.

Specifically, you must:

  • Be free from tuberculosis when you travel to and enter Australia.
  • Not work while in Australia. However, you may be able to engage in volunteer work as long as an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do the same work. You can be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses such as meals and accommodation.
  • Not study or train for more than three months.
  • Not have one or more criminal convictions for which you were sentenced to more than a total of 12 months, regardless of whether you went to prison or not.

Reporting changes in circumstances

If your circumstances change, it is important to notify the relevant authorities. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or significant life events like pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

To report changes in your circumstances, you can use ImmiAccount. If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, there are specific forms you can use:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details: Use this form if you move to a new address or change your passport.
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances: Use this form for any other changes in your circumstances.

Failure to provide details of any new passport issued to you can result in significant delays at the airport and may even lead to denial of permission to board your plane.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)