Student Guardian visa (subclass 580)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Student Guardian visa (subclass 580)

The Student Guardian visa (subclass 580) is no longer available for new applications. It closed on July 1, 2016. If you need to extend your stay in Australia, you must now apply for a Student Visa (subclass 590).

Visa holders

This information is for individuals who have already been granted a Student Guardian visa (subclass 580) or have applied for the visa on or before June 30, 2016, and are awaiting a decision. It outlines your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

You can use the free Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service to check your visa details and conditions.

How long your visa lasts

If you currently hold a Student Guardian visa (subclass 580), it will remain valid until the expiry date provided when your visa was granted.

What this visa allows you to do

With the Student Guardian visa (subclass 580), you have the following privileges:

  • Stay in Australia for the same duration as the nominating student or until the student turns 18 years old.
  • Study in Australia for up to 20 hours per week in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) if you lodged your application on or after March 24, 2012.
  • Study in a course other than ELICOS in Australia for a maximum of three months.

You can enter and exit Australia during the validity of your visa, but you cannot leave the country without the nominating student unless you provide evidence of compelling compassionate circumstances and suitable alternative arrangements for the student's accommodation, welfare, and support until your return.


Alternative arrangements

If you need to travel and make alternative welfare arrangements, these arrangements must be approved by us and the student's education provider. It is important to discuss your circumstances with the education provider as soon as you know about your travel plans.

You have two options for making alternative welfare arrangements:

  1. Nominate an alternative student guardian, who must be a parent or relative aged 21 years or older, except in limited circumstances. To nominate a student guardian, you must complete Form 157N, which outlines the required documentation. Submit this form, along with the education provider's approval (in a letter or email) and the necessary documentation, before leaving Australia.
  2. The student's education provider can assume responsibility for their welfare by issuing a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter, specifying the approved welfare arrangements' start and end dates.

We will notify you if the alternative welfare arrangements have been approved. If we determine that the welfare arrangements are not suitable, you cannot leave Australia without the nominating student.

'No further stay' or 'further stay restricted' condition

You must comply with the 'no further stay' condition specified in your visa. This means that, except in certain circumstances, you cannot apply to extend your stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your visa.

Working while in Australia is not permitted under the conditions of the Guardian visa (subclass 580). Failure to comply with these conditions may result in the cancellation of your visa and the potential cancellation of the nominating student's visa.

Reporting changes in your circumstances

You must inform us if your circumstances change, such as a change in residential address, a new passport, or significant life events like pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

Please report any changes in your circumstances through ImmiAccount. If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details: Use this form if you move to a new address or change your passport.
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances: Use this form for any other changes in your circumstances.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)