Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175)

Sunday 5 November 2023

About the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175)

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175) is a visa category that was closed to new applications on July 1, 2012. This visa is subject to the Cap and cease arrangement, which took effect on September 22, 2015. Any visa applications that were not decided by September 22, 2015, are considered to have not been made.

Features of the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175)

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175) uses a points test to assess eligibility. This visa allows individuals with competent English language skills and other valuable skills and attributes to migrate to Australia. The aim is to attract individuals who can contribute the most to the Australian economy.

If you are interested in migrating to Australia, there is a visa finder function available that outlines the requirements for all current skilled migration visas. This function can assist you in identifying the visa subclass(es) that suit your personal circumstances.

Information for Visa Holders

If you have been granted a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175), it is important to understand your rights and obligations. You can use the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

What the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175) allows you to do

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175) is a permanent residence visa. It grants you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa the following privileges:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted. After this period, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia.

Your obligations as a visa holder

As a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 175) holder, you and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Reporting changes in circumstances

It is important to report any changes in your circumstances to the relevant authorities. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or any significant life events like a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

To report changes in your circumstances, you can use ImmiAccount. If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, there are specific forms available for different types of changes:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details - for address or passport changes
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances - for other changes in your circumstances

Failure to provide details of any new passport issued to you may result in significant delays at the airport and possible denial of permission to board your plane.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)