Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Visa Overview

The Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426) is a closed visa category that was available until 24 November 2012. It is no longer possible to apply for this visa.

If you are looking to work in Australia under similar circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403).

Visa Holders

If you have already been granted a Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426), it is important to understand your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

You can utilize the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service to check your visa details and entitlements.

Duration of the Visa

The length of your Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426) will vary depending on your individual circumstances and those of your employer.

It is important to note that your visa cannot exceed the length of your employer's posting.

Permitted Activities

The Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426) allows you to:

  • Temporarily enter Australia
  • Work in domestic duties within the household of an individual holding a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995)
  • Enter and leave Australia as long as your visa remains valid

Visa Holder Obligations

As a visa holder, it is crucial to comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

During your stay in Australia, you must:

  • Maintain adequate health insurance
  • Continue to meet the requirements of the visa stream you were granted
  • Fulfill Australian taxation obligations if you work in Australia

Employment Restrictions

As a Domestic Worker visa holder, there are specific employment restrictions you must adhere to:

  • Work exclusively within the household of your employer
  • Perform only domestic duties
  • Avoid working for another individual or for yourself
  • Do not remain in Australia if your employer leaves permanently, unless the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has granted permission for your continued stay
  • Seek approval from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade if you wish to transfer your employment to another diplomatic visa holder's household

Employer Responsibilities

Your employer, who acts as your sponsor, is obligated to:

  • Provide wages and working conditions that meet the minimum standards under Australian law
  • Ensure you depart from Australia at the end of your visa or when your employment concludes, covering the cost of your return travel to your home country

Reporting Changes

It is essential to inform the relevant authorities if there are any changes in your circumstances. This includes changes in residential address, passport details, or significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

You can report changes through ImmiAccount. If you are unable to access ImmiAccount, you can use the specified forms:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details – for address or passport changes
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances – for other changes in your circumstances

Failure to provide details of any new passport issued to you may result in significant delays at the airport and possible denial of permission to board your plane.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)