Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575)

The Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) is no longer available for new applications. The visa closed on 1 July 2016. If you need to extend your stay in Australia, you must now apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500).

Visa holders

If you have already been granted a Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) or if you applied for the visa on or before 30 June 2016 and a decision has not yet been made, this information applies to you. It explains your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

To check your visa details and conditions, you can use the free Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.

How long your visa lasts

If you already have a Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575), it will remain valid until the expiry date given to you when your visa was granted.

What this visa lets you do

The Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) allows you to:

  • Study in Australia
  • Bring eligible dependant family members with you to Australia
  • Work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks, as long as you comply with State and Territory workplace laws
  • Allow your family members to work up to 40 hours per fortnight, provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia
  • Enable your family members who are 18 or older to study in Australia for up to three months. If they wish to study for longer than three months, they must apply for their own student visa



As a student on the Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575), it is important to comply with your visa conditions while studying and living in Australia. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your visa. Additionally, you must also comply with Australian laws.

If you wish to change to a course that is in a different education sector than your current course, such as changing from high school to a Diploma course, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa (subclass 500) as your current visa subclass will not be appropriate for the new course or package of courses.

If you were granted your visa under streamlined visa processing (SVP), you must continue to meet the requirements for the grant of the visa. This means that if you seek to transfer to a different education provider who was not an eligible education provider before 1 July 2016, your visa could be considered for cancellation if it is within the first 12 months of being granted, or if you are not from a country that was Assessment Level 1 before 1 July 2016.

To determine which conditions apply to your visa, you can use the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service or refer to your visa grant letter.

Changing your education provider

In addition to complying with your visa conditions, there are requirements under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) National Code that apply if you wish to change your education provider.

If you have not completed six months of your principal course and you want to change your education provider, the ESOS National Code sets out the circumstances in which this will be possible. Generally, you will need the permission of your existing education provider to transfer to another education provider, unless special circumstances apply.

Your education provider must assess or consider your request to transfer, and their transfer policy should be documented. It is important to understand your education provider's transfer policy and the requirements outlined in your written agreement before attempting to enroll with a new education provider.

If your education provider does not grant permission for the transfer and you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you can access the internal appeal process with your education provider. If you are still not satisfied, you have the option to appeal the decision at an external complaints handling body, such as the State or Territory Ombudsman or the Overseas Student Ombudsman.

Students under 18 years of age

If you are under 18 years of age, it is your responsibility to maintain adequate accommodation, support, and general welfare arrangements for the duration of your visa or until you turn 18.

If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider, you cannot travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements commence. The welfare start date is the date nominated by your education provider on the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/Welfare Arrangements (CAAW) letter.

If a student guardian is providing for your welfare arrangements and they need to leave Australia without you, you must make alternative welfare arrangements that are approved by the authorities. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your visa.

'No further stay' condition

Some visas are issued with a 'no further stay' condition, which means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the specified date on your visa, except in certain circumstances.

Report changes in your circumstances

It is important to inform the authorities if your circumstances change while in Australia. This includes changes in residential address, passport details, pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

You can report changes in your circumstances through ImmiAccount. If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, you can use Form 929 for change of address and/or passport details, and Form 1022 for notification of other changes in your circumstances.

Family member

If you have dependent family members on your visa, they must also comply with the visa conditions. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your visa and the need to leave Australia.

Your family members must:

  • Remain a member of your family for the duration of their stay in Australia
  • Have adequate financial support
  • Maintain adequate health cover
  • Work no more than 40 hours per fortnight, and only after you have commenced your course
  • Attend school if they are of school age

It is your responsibility to ensure that your family members meet these conditions.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)