Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 119 and 857)

Sunday 5 November 2023
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclasses 119 and 857) is a visa that closed to new applications on 1 July 2012. However, if you have already applied for this visa and no decision has been made yet, you can still add dependent children to your application until a decision is reached. If you currently hold a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa, your family members have the option to apply separately for their own visas, whether they are in Australia or outside of the country.

Visa Applicant

Adding Family to Your Application

If you have not yet received a decision on your visa application, you have the opportunity to include the following people in your application:

  • Your partner
  • Your child/step-child or your partner's child/step-child

It is important to note that these individuals must also be nominated by your employer. Additionally, all members of your family unit must meet the health and character requirements.

Visa Holders

Duration of Your Visa

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa is a permanent residence visa, allowing you and your family members to live and work in Australia indefinitely.

What This Visa Allows You to Do

With this visa, you and your family members who have been granted the visa can:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Take out private health insurance
  • Access certain social security payments
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, a resident return visa will be required)

Your Obligations

It is important to fulfill your obligations as a visa holder to avoid potential cancellation of your visa. Your visa may be cancelled if:

  • You fail to start your employment with the relevant employer within six months of arriving in Australia, and you cannot demonstrate a genuine effort to begin that employment within the six-month period.
  • Your employment is terminated within two years of starting, and you cannot provide evidence of a genuine effort to be engaged in that employment for the required period.

Employer Obligations

As an employer, it is crucial to ensure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa holders.

Reporting Changes to Circumstances

If your circumstances change, it is your responsibility to inform the relevant authorities. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or any significant events in your family, such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death.

To report changes in your circumstances, you can use ImmiAccount. If you are unable to access ImmiAccount, you may utilize the following forms:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details - for changes in address or passport details
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances - for other changes in your circumstances

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)