Skilled Independent visa (subclass 885)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 885)

The Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885) is a type of visa that closed to new applications on 1 January 2013. This visa is specifically for individuals who are already in Australia when the visa is granted.

Visa applicants

If you have already applied for a Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885), this information is for you. While you cannot lodge a new application for this visa, members of your family unit can lodge a combined application if no decision has been made on your visa.

After you have applied

Once you have lodged your application and documents, you will receive an acknowledgment of receipt from us. We will also assign you a case officer who will review your application, request an interview if necessary, ask for more information, and ultimately make a decision on your application.

Wait for a decision

The length of time it takes to process your application may vary depending on certain factors. If you require character or health checks, need to provide additional information, or have an incomplete application, it may take longer to process. If you apply for this visa in Australia, you will be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is being processed. Additionally, if you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

Health and character requirements

We will contact you when you need to provide health or character documents as part of your visa application.

Debts to the Australian Government

In order for this visa to be granted, you must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have made arrangements to repay any outstanding debts.

Provide more information

You have the opportunity to provide more information to us at any time until a decision is made on your application. If you need to correct any information you have already provided, you can use Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s). We may also request additional information from you, and you will be required to respond by a specified date. If another person provides information that could result in the refusal of your visa, you will typically be given the opportunity to comment on the information. You may also be required to attend an interview, in which case you should bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents.

Report changes in circumstances

It is important to inform us if your circumstances change while your visa application is being processed. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or events such as a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family. You can report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount, or by using Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details if you move to a new address or change your passport, and Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances for other changes.

Withdrawing your application

If you wish to withdraw your application, you can do so at any time before a decision is made. To withdraw, simply send us a letter or email requesting the withdrawal. Your request should include your full name, date of birth, and file reference number, client ID, or Transaction Reference Number. If you are 18 years of age or older, all applicants wishing to withdraw must sign the request.

Visa decision

If your visa is granted, we will inform you of when you can use the visa, provide you with the visa grant number, and outline any conditions attached to the visa.

Contact information

If you need to update your information, please contact the Adelaide General Skilled Migration (GSM) processing centre.

Visa holders

If you have already been granted a Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885), this information pertains to you. This visa grants you permanent residence in Australia and allows you and your family members to stay in the country indefinitely, work and study, enroll in Medicare for health-related care, apply for Australian citizenship if eligible, sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence, and travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.

Your obligations

As a visa holder, it is important that you and your family comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)